As people reach retirement age, their overall risk of being victims of crime declines.
However, older Americans are particularly vulnerable to con games, purse-snatchers and pickpockets. Be Alert to your surroundings when out.
Take common-sense precautions:
- Go with friends, not alone.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Put your wallet in an inside coat or in front pants pocket.
- Use direct deposit.
- Drive with vehicle doors locked. Be particularly alert in parking lots and underground garages.
Be Alert to home security
- Lock doors and windows.
- Ask for identification from service or delivery people before letting them in. If you’re concerned, call the company to verify or call 911.
Watch out for Con Artists
- Don’t be fooled by schemes, scams, sweepstakes, free offers and other promotions that sound “too good to be true.” Be wary of phone solicitors asking for personal information.
- Don’t let anyone rush into signing anything. Read everything carefully.
Page Views: 511