GENERAL PURPOSE: Under the supervision of the Court Administrator performs routine court clerical assignments, administrative, and other public services.
- Follows personnel policies and procedures as set forth by the City of Belen;
- Answers multi-line telephone system, directs calls as appropriate and takes messages;
- Types correspondence, reports, and other material from rough or advanced draft using a typewriter or word processor;
- Assists in administering criminal proceedings and docketing;
- Processes deferral, jail sentences, probation, pre-sentencing matters failures;
- Files and retrieves information from manual and/or automated files;
- Sorts and distributes mail; prepares outgoing mail;
- Enters various data pertaining to statistical and other records into computer system;
- Makes copies and assembles materials for distribution as necessary;
- Serves as receptionist in a high visibility position;
- Ensures quality customer service delivered to the public;
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other city personnel and the public;
- Works independently and completes activities according to work schedule with little or no supervision;
- Establishes and maintains required documentation and records for reporting purposes;
- Addresses public concerns and directs to appropriate department head for solutions;
- Assists with collections as necessary;
- Makes recommendations to better improve the department to direct supervisor;
- Other duties as assigned.
May perform basic collection duties on City property as assigned. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- High school graduate or GED;
- One-year experience working with multi-line telephone system;
- One-year experience judicial work preferred;
- Able to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with personas of all ages and every economic and social level, supervisors, agencies and the public;
- Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices;
- Able to file, type, use word processor and computer;
- Able to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions;
- Able to work with angry or difficult customers;
- Ability to operate standard office machines including typewriter, word processor computer, base radio and multi-line telephone system;
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with the public, supervisors, and co-workers;
- A valid New Mexico’s driver’s license is required;
- Prefer Spanish bi-lingual, but not required;
- Must be able to successfully pass drug testing.
Knowledge to include use of common office equipment, such as: typewriter, computer and basic software, calculator, copier, fax, base radio, phone and fax. Employee may occasionally operate city motor vehicle.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands or fingers, handle, feel or operate objects and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to push, pull, and stoop.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 20 pounds and move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works inside building with controlled temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is consistent to office work situations.
Applications and job descriptions are available at Belen City Hall, 100 South Main and on the city’s website http://www.belen-nm.gov For more information, please call the Office of Human Resources at 505-966-2742.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL FRIDAY JANUARY 22, 2021