The City of Belen strives to keep our citizens updated about any potential resources that can benefit them, especially in this difficult time. We know that many in our community have dealt with loss and the financial hardship that follows because of the pandemic. If you have lost a loved one to COVID-19 since January 20, 2020 and have paid for funeral expenses, you may be eligible for reimbursement.
Some examples of eligible expenses may include:
- Transportation to identify the deceased
- The transfer of remains
- A burial plot or cremation niche
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment costs
**Please note that this list is not inclusive of all eligible expenses.
You must meet the following to be eligible for reimbursement:
- The death must have occurred in the United States
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is NO requirement for the deceased to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
- The deceased’s death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to or caused by COVID-19. If a death occurred between Jan. 20 and May 16, 2020, and the death certificate doesn’t attribute the death to COVID-19, include a signed statement from the death certificate’s certifying official, local coroner, or medical examiner that links the cause of death to COVID-19.
To apply for this assistance you can contact FEMA in the following ways:
Call FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline at
1-844-684-6333 (TTY: 800-462-7585)
from 9am to 9pm ET Monday – Friday to begin the application process
For fastest service following you application, you can begin submitting documentation online through
by fax 855-261-3452
Documents may also be mailed to:
COVID-19 Funeral Assistance
P.O. Box 10001
Hyattsville, MD 20782
You can also visit us online at:
Information is provided in several languages both by telephone and the website.
Before Calling Please Have the Following Information
- Name, social security number, date of birth, mailing address, and contact phone numbers.
- Name, social security number, and date of birth for each deceased individual.
- Location or address where the deceased individual passed away.
- Documentation and receipts for any assistance already receibed from other sources, including burial or funeral insurance, donations, voluntary agencies, other government programs, or non-profit organizations.
- The name and information of an co-applicant(s) if anyone besides yourself incurred funeral expenses for the deceased individual(s).
You can download a flyer from FEMA about the Funeral Assistance program below.