Belen's Harvey House operated from 1910 to 1939. It had a first-class dining room and a lunchroom with a large horseshoe-shaped marble counter. The Harvey Girls lived upstairs as did the dorm mother and the office manager and his wife.
In the 1940s, it re-opened briefly during World War II, with many Harvey Girls coming out of retirement to serve troop trains. In the 1950s, it became the Santa Fe Reading Room for railroad employees, serving as a break room and dormitory through the 1970s.
Boarded up and readied for demolition, a campaign by citizens of Belen saved the building from being torn down. In 1982, the Santa Fe Railroad donated the building to the City of Belen and hundreds of volunteers began restoring the building.
The Harvey House re-opened in 1985 as a civic center, a scattering of government and non-profit offices and small museum. Activities took a toll on the aging building and, to ensure its preservation, it was completely devoted to the Harvey House Museum. In 2013, the Valencia County Historical Society turned over management of the Museum to the City of Belen.
Now, the Harvey House Museum specializes in Harvey House, railroad and Southwest history. A Belen Public Library branch in the museum is open to the public.
||12:00 p.m.- 5 p.m.
10:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.
104 North First Street
Belen NM, 87002
Private group tours available during off hours. Please call 505-861-0581 to schedule.